I have a karaoke list. And in case you’re wondering, yes I am Filipino. I’m just going to clear it up right now, there’s a reason it’s a stereotype, we cannot get enough of karaoke.
Now, this ain’t yo mama’s list of oldies-but-goodies. These are my tried-and-true babies, in no particular order (except maybe the first one :D). This is a well-vetted, heavily curated list that a) has stood the test of time, b) ranges in energy level and mood, from party-starting to roof-raising to casbah-rocking to b%*&#-and-moan-about-your-ex, and most importantly, c) makes my voice sound good.
- Black Eyed Peas – Let’s Get It Started — see what I did there?
- Rihanna – Please Don’t Stop The Music — can you say, mama say mama sa mama koosa?
- Maroon 5 – This Love — because Adam Levine has a high-enough voice
- REM – Losing My Religion — everybody hurts – I mean, hates* – that song, but that’s because it was overplayed!
- The Killers – Somebody Told Me — how can you not? Especially with lyrics like “Somebody told me / You had a boyfriend / Who looked like a girlfriend / That I had in February of last year”
- Wheatus – Teenage Dirtbag — because I’m from the 90s, dude
- Michael Jackson – You Are Not Alone — I even do the yelp after every line
- Vanessa Carlton – A Thousand Miles — because at heart, I’m a white girl (sorry, it’s true, especially if you’ve ever seen White Chicks)
- Tracy Chapman – Fast Car — because I-yii-aii got a feelin’ that I belong
- Evanescence – Bring Me To Life — because I want to lose my voice
- Eminem – Lose Yourself — see above
- Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody — one more time, see above
- The Cranberries – Dreams — because You’ve Got Mail brought me here
- No Doubt – Don’t Speak — because we’ve all had that relationship
- Alanis Morissette – You Oughta Know — I have not had that kind of relationship yet, but it’s a GOOD song
- Meredith Brooks – Bitch — speaking of 90s female alt-rock…
- 4 Non Blondes – What’s Up — because I say hey-yee-yay-ee-yay-hey-hey
- John Travolta & Olivia Newton John – Summer Nights — hey, no judging, you know Grease is the sh**
- Jody Benson as Ariel – Part Of Your World — she just wants to be a part of his world, it’s beautiful, okay?!
Honestly, I could just go on and on, but I’m going to stop while I’m ahead. I had way too much fun creating this post!
DAY 2 ASSIGNMENT: Write a List
Today, write your own list on one of these topics:
- Things I Like
- Things I’ve Learned
- Things I Wish
There are no rules, though it might help to decide in advance how many items you’d like to include, or set a timer, so you have boundaries within which to work. For example, a list of 10 or 25 or 50 (or more!) items, or intervals of 15, 30, or 60 minutes are appropriate.